Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April Showers Story Time

There was no rainy day this week in New Jersey since I jinxed it with my April Showers Story Time theme. We even did a RAIN DANCE! It didn't work, but by the end of the book, the kids all wanted it to rain.

The Books:

 
Kipper's Rainy Day based on the books by Mick Inkpen


One Rainy Day by M. Christina Butler

Floop's New Umbrella by Carole Tremblay

Rain Dance by Kathi Appelt

The Favorite: Rain Dance was the last book I read because I had the kids get up and act out all the animal parts to make our "rain dance" and it is always tough to get them to sit back down on their mats for another story after movement!

Flannelboard:  Five Little Raindrops
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this rhyme from thestorytimelady! It was

Five little raindrops 
dancing on a walk.
Pitter, patter, pitter, patter
That's the way they talk.
Out comes the yellow sun
Shining in the sky,
And away goes one raindrop
Bye, bye bye!

The kids really loved making a "rainstorm" with all the "pitter-pattering" on their knees/the floor. I'll definitely be using this rhyme again soon!



What's in the Memory Box?
I used my felt rain again from when I did a Robot theme. The kids all thought a cat would be in the box because they remembered the cat hiding in a tree in Kipper's Rainy Day. I don't know if they will ever guess right, but its fun watching them try every week!



The Craft: Grumpy Rain Clouds
I was the only one who made a Grumpy Cloud. Everyone else made one with a happy face, flowers or the biggest hit: RAINBOWS! I'm happy with my grumpy cloud though. I just gave them clouds cut from white construction paper, raindrops cut from blue construction paper and blue streamers. I was going to have them glue cotton balls on the clouds, but they were more interested in coloring and making faces with crayons instead. I'm happy about that since whenever we do crafts with cotton balls, half of the cotton balls always end up on the glue sticks!










No comments:

Post a Comment