Saturday, January 26, 2013

Get Well Story Time

Since everyone is feeling ill with something around here, this week's theme was all about Getting Well and Doctors.

The Books:

Bear Feels Sick by Karma Wilson

Llama llama home with mama by Anna Dewdney



My Cold Went on a Vacation by Molly Rausch & Nora Krug
Favorite: As always, Llama llama home with mama was the favorite. I wish there was a llama book for every holiday and theme.

What was in the Memory Box? 
A box of tissues! I don't know how I crammed this in the box, but I did without the lid popping off. 

Activity: Winter Clothes flannel board complete with song "Boots, Jacket, Scarf and Hat" to the tune of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" from Mel's Desk! She is another of my favorite resources for anything Early Lit or Story Time-related. I just used clip art for the jacket, hat, scarf, mittens and boots, covered them with contact paper and added Velcro stickies to the back. I had a small story time group (because everyone was sick?) so everyone had a chance to put one of the items on the felt board.


Craft: What do you do when you're sick? Go to the doctor! Trying to find a craft that went with these stories was a little difficult. I came across a fancy doctor bag complete with supplies to color, but as usual, it was from a "members only" site so I could only see the tiny thumbnail image. I decided to make my own materials for doctor bags.


Doctor Bag
Inside Doctor Bag

I kept it simple because when I have a lot of gluing, the kids really just want to color with the glue sticks instead of the crayons. I didn't want the whole project to be sticky, so I limited it to medicine, thermometer, band-aids & cotton balls. Some kids just had band-aids, some just medicine. It was really funny to see all the finished projects. Everyone was very proud and thought it was funny that I was calling them all Dr. So-and-so!

I haven't gotten sick with anything yet, knock on wood, but I know there are lots of "doctors" that will be able to fix me up in no time if I do get sick. Being around these kids really does wonders for my immune system!

No comments:

Post a Comment