Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Love Love Love Story Time

Since Valentine's Day is this week and some of the Valentine's Day books are too long for story time attention spans and my last-minute-way-of-planning-things so all the good ones are gone, I usually stick with a "love" or "pink & red" theme for story time. Of course, our craft always has to do with hearts!

The Books:

Clifford's Valentines by Norman Bridwell

The I Love You Book by Todd Parr

No Matter What by Emma Dodd


Activity: Down Around the Corner Flannelboard featuring felt heart cookies!

Down around the corner at the bakery shop
Were 5 heart cookies with icing on top.
Along came <insert name of kid> with a nickel to pay.
And they bought a heart cookie and took it away.

I gave out felt nickels to the kids so they had to pay me before grabbing a cookie off the flannelboard. One of the kids said he would rather just keep the money. Hilarious.





I'm so glad I found this on Mel's Desk because I use it a lot for story times when I need a flannelboard story quick.

It was so crazy during Toddler Time again this week, that I just have 10 felt brown hearts and 10 different colored heart felt "icing". I put the cookies on the flannelboard & gave out the icing, so the kids came up and put their icing on when I called their color. This was great since there are so many at Toddler Time and they all want a piece to put up at the same time!


What's in the Memory Box?
Race car! Egg! Tractor! ...... Every. Week. It cracks me up. 

Me: Did we read stories about a race car today?

Majority of Kids: NOooooo!  1 or 2 Kids: YESSSS!

Me: Are you sure?

1 or 2 Kids: YESSSSSS!

Me: Seriously?

Guess what. No race car. No egg. No tractor. AN ELEPHANT!!!!

 


Craft: Bouquet of heart flowers!



My favorite thing about a Valentine's Day story time is buying valentines to give out to the kids. Its like I'm in grade school all over again!







No comments:

Post a Comment