Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mittens and Hats Story Time

I'm using a winter theme again while I still can with mittens & hats.  One of the books I chose to go with this theme ended up being really funny in terms of how old it was.

The Books:

Three Little Kittens by Marilyn Janovitz

Whose Hat? by Margaret Miller
The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg
Favorite: Three Little Kittens. The kids thought it was hilarious that the kittens would eat pie with mittens on. I was planning on reading the board book about the Three Little Kittens story from Despicable Me movie, but I forgot to bring it. The little finger puppets attached to the book are so cute. Forgetting the book was probably a blessing in disguise though because the kids were especially grabby today with the felt board, so I'm sure that book would not have survived if I brought it in.

Whose Hat? by Margaret Miller was a great book, except for a few dated hats. We had fun trying to figure out who was wearing a hat and got most of the right, except for the nurse's hat. Of course, there's really no need to discard this book for one page, so if I read this again, I might skip that page. This would actually make a great flannelboard. I'll have to get on that for next time.


Paper boat? What is it?????



Oh! A nurse!


Love the pants.
Flannelboard: Mitten Match
No rhyme. I just called out a color and had the kids come up and match their mittens to the one of that color.



What was in the Memory Box?
A felt cat. All the kids wanted to "pet" the cat. 

Craft:
I saw this cute idea online and even though it was painting (gasp! parents freak whenever I get out the paint!) I thought they would like the keepsake of their child's hand prints. And I was right.





This rebel didn't want to get his hands dirty, so we compromised with just one.




No comments:

Post a Comment