Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Snowman Story Time

Since it might not be Winter much longer here in NJ, I wanted to get the obligatory "snowman" story time out of the way. With the holidays and being closed, I haven't had much time to come up with a cooler theme. Eh, it happens.

The Books:

Snow Party by Harriet Ziefert
A Winter Day by Douglas Florian

The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming


Spring Snowman adapted by Jill Barnes

I really liked The First Day of Winter by Denise Fleming even though it is about the beginning of winter, but it is about building a snowman, so it didn't really matter about the time of year.  This story has the potential to be a great flannelboard without lots of pieces.

Spring Snowman is the saddest book I've ever read. The illustrations are sad, but I really liked the idea. The forest animals are excited because Spring is coming and try to explain Spring to the Snowman. Of course, the Snowman melts and in its place grows a bunch of white flowers in the shape of a snowman, hence the Spring Snowman. Really cute story, creepily drawn animals. The book is so old that I couldn't find an image online. I had to take a picture of the book!

Activity: Five Snowmen
Made this from clip art and just colored their hats different colors.



What was in the Memory Box?
Since I couldn't hide actual snow in the box for fear of melting, (aw man!) I hid a snowman left from an old snowman craft. All the kids wanted to "pet" the snowman.

Craft: 
I don't have a picture of this, but I gave everyone a piece of blue construction paper, three circles, crayon and white paint. They were able to make finger print snowflakes with the paint after they assembled and colored their snowmen. Very easy craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment